Lily is currently working on the production of Disney's; The Little Mermaid with her troupe, she currently working on the set design and designing costumes for five characters (Ariel, Ursula, Sebastian, Flotsam, and Jetsam.) She's super excited about working with foam again, but she's excited to finally make a mermaid costume! She hopes to bring the costume designs she makes to Thescon and try to get scholarships with them as well.
Ariel's Mermaid Tail
I constructed this with a simple pattern of the actor's legs with a double layer of the mint sequins sewn together making a large skirt. I brought in the top part to create the illusion of the female form. I added a zipper to the back for quick changes and for maximizing her body figure. I later cut out a small circle skirt with a green silk and sewed it onto the the bottom of the skirt, the material gave the actress lots of movement and a fishy look.
Ariel's Ball Gown
While making this dress I knew that there would be a quick change involved so I decided to split it into two to make the change easier for the actor and myself. When first starting I ordered a green corset that I built onto. I added off the shoulder straps from the silk that I used on a majority of her costume to tie her back to her mermaid self. I made a four panel skirt (three panels green silk, one panel gold design) with a drawstring for our quick change.
When designing her tentacles I decided to take inspiration from a class during nationals that was focused on puppetry and the different kinds of puppetry around the world. I wanted ursula and the eels to be inspired from different kinds of puppets, so with ursula I wanted to try to make her tentacles look ALIVE so I used a marinate technique to give her control of four of the tentacles on the sides. This gave the actor and life like moving tentacles without ruining the illusion of the puppetry.
Flotsam and Jetsam
I played around a lot with these two characters including the idea of puppets, I also wanted an extra challenge by adding lights to the eyes and the whole body. Both heads were created with EVA foam that I had glued onto a glove create a little eel head. Both eels had glowing eyes and bodes by having a small dog color light and LED lights giving the actors and myself a challenge.
I decided to go outside of my comfort zone and I started expanding my skill set. I collaborated with two other people on the set, but I mainly worked on the two side stages with my co-head Baxter Moore. We used many methods to create a hard rock looking set, but we decided to used fabric, old paint and chicken wire. once the set was dry we went in with over 7 different colors to try to get the rocks looking as realistic as possible. On scuttles side stage we used and liquid resin with some blue coloring to create and waterfall lagoon, which actually turned out to be one of the coolest parts of the set. When working with the illusion of being underwater we agreed to put a bunch of glitter on the underwater set pieces including Ursula's side stage which we DUMPED black glitter over to give it a magical and underwater shimmer and shine. Not only was set a major challenge for me it was also a huge eye opener to how detailed and magical this musical was.